Lord Baden Powell founded Scouting in 1907 and the earliest record of Scouting in Durham City is 1910.
At this time there were 6 Scout Groups and 140 Scouts. By 1936 there were 24 Scout Groups stretching from Waterhouses to Cornsay and Pittington.Over the years the various Scout Groups across the district have opened, closed, merged and reformed. 4th Durham Scouts were founded in their present form 1926 and 5th Durham Scouts two years later.
Some signs of the Scout Groups which have now closed can still be seen in the current Group numbering system for example, 3rd Durham (founded 1953) and 6th Durham (founded 1930) merged in 1966 to become 9th Durham Scout Group. In 2006 the 1st Durham Group and 9th Durham Groups merged to form the 19th Durham Scout Group.